TAM’s personnel and partners have expertise in all the areas that are related to the transportation of radioactive materials. We offer consulting services in the following areas:
Radioactive Materials are transported through numerous jurisdictions (state, country, Port Authorities…) during the transport process. Not only does each jurisdiction have a unique set of regulations, but within each jurisdiction there are several varieties of regulations, and possibly international regulations too, depending on the mode of transport.
- We provide research and reporting services that prove our clients have performed their due diligence in ensuring that a planned shipment will comply with all the applicable regulations throughout the transport route.
- We are active in industry associations and thus remain current in our knowledge – World Nuclear Transport Institute, World Nuclear Association – Transport Working Group, World Nuclear Fuel Market.
- We are also active with regulatory and standard setting bodies such as the American National Standards Institute (N14 committee) and the International Atomic Energy Agency.
Auditing of Transportation Companies
Consignors of shipments are responsible to ensure that they are practicing a reasonable amount of due diligence in their choice of carriers. In order to satisfy this requirement, as well as comply with quality assurance programs, the carriers and other transportation handlers and contractors should be audited by a qualified auditor.
- We audit Transportation Companies on behalf of our clients and provide reporting services that will satisfy the due diligence requirements of regulators, courts and quality assurance programs.
- Our lead auditor is certified in both Quality Systems auditing and Process Safety Management auditing.
Package Validations and Design Support
TAM personnel and partners offer expertise in obtaining package validations to allow transit or utilization of a package in the countries necessary to the transportation process. TAM personnel and its partners have worked on container designs including Thermal Protection Devices and Type B Packages.
- We liaise with competent authorities and work through the process of obtaining validations for nuclear packages.
- Design support to package designers.
- Our experience transporting these commodities on many different routes and equipment is a valuable contribution to the design process.
- We provide analysis of the practicality of the designs during the various transport and handling processes. This can save time and money for the package users by preventing costly future design changes or the need to produce specially designed transport equipment.